Join W4C in sharing the power of the Power Hand!
Join W4C in sharing the power of the Power Hand! This simple activity can be done anywhere, anytime, to help us feel calm and strong. Share it with your community to encourage positive mental health, and be sure to post and tag us in your social media!
Building Your Power Hand
The Power Hand activity is an opportunity to practice recognizing our strengths. When we recognize our strengths, we feel hopeful and resilient, which helps us make healthy choices and manage our thoughts, emotions, and actions. This has a positive impact on our mental, emotional, and physical well-being. Below are the steps for the Power Hand activity, which can be done anywhere, anytime, to help us feel calm and strong.
- With your eyes closed, take five slow and deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth. While breathing, focus on relaxing your muscles, and feeling comfortable in your body.
- Once you feel comfortable, hold one hand out in front of your body, in a relaxed manner.
- As you take a deep breath in, use the index finger of your other hand to trace the outline of your thumb.
- When you get to the tip of your thumb, think of one of your strengths. This is something you like and value about yourself. When you think of the strength, gently squeeze your fingertip – this will help you remember this strength!
- In your own time, continue to take deep breaths, and focus on a strength of yours at each fingertip, until you have completed your Power Hand. If you can’t think of five strengths, that’s ok – just think of as many as you can for now.
- When you have built your Power Hand, take three deep breaths in and out, and remind yourself of your strengths you have just identified. Focus on how thinking of these strengths makes you feel, and how you could use your Power Hand in the future.
- When you are ready, gently open your eyes.
Remember: this is an activity you can use to feel resilient and hopeful, and to remind yourself of your value, whenever you need to!